News :: Crime

Man Pleads Not Guilty in NYC Hate-Crime Shooting

Tuesday Jun 18, 2013
  • PRINT
  • COMMENTS (4)
  • LARGE
  • MEDIUM
  • SMALL

A man accused of shooting a gay man in New York City’s Greenwich Village after taunting him with slurs has pleaded not guilty.

Elliot Morales entered the plea Tuesday as prosecutors alleged that shortly after his arrest he admitted shooting the victim.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance says the 33-year-old Morales had been charged with second-degree murder as a hate crime in the May 17 shooting of Mark Carson. He also is charged with criminal possession of a weapon, menacing, and menacing a police officer.

Vance says Carson’s death serves as a reminder of the discrimination that many New Yorkers still face.

Morales is being held without bail in Carson’s death. His lawyer did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments

  • Bobby McGuire, 2013-06-18 15:13:52

    Throw the book at him


  • Oh Jed said:, 2013-06-18 20:23:57

    If Mr. Morales actually committed this crime, I hope he is passed around in prison and brutally murdered the day before he’s scheduled to be released. He belongs in a dumpster not out on the streets.


  • Anonymous, 2013-06-18 22:22:41

    His lawyer says he is innocent. Lawyers are just like mothers...


  • gdhamf, 2013-06-19 04:14:12

    His lawyer is just as bad as his client.


Add New Comment

Comments on Facebook